Riverton City Secondary Water FAQ

Riverton City Secondary Water FAQ
How do you take care of your yard/landscaping with no secondary water? While the secondary water system is not available, Riverton City is fortunate to have continued access to a safe culinary water supply. The base rate for culinary water is $2.50 and then $3.91 for every 1,000 gallons used. While this water source is more costly, it is available and should be managed wisely to minimize economic impact and conservation of this valuable resource.

For tips on the most efficient watering, you can visit:

When can your fruit and vegetables be eaten again? As reported by the DEQ “The Utah Department of Agriculture and Food (UDAF) strongly advises farmers and ranchers against using water from Utah Lake for food productions, especially fruits and vegetables and livestock watering until lab results are available. Riverton City has not received any other information at this time but will continue posting any reports from the UDAF and the Salt Lake County Health department are they are released.

Why is Riverton City not utilizing the existing wells to provide secondary water? Secondary water usage, especially during the summer months can reach upwards of 28 million gallons/day. Our Riverton City wells cannot produce enough water to meet this demand and, in fact, do not produce enough water to pressurize the secondary system.

Are Riverton City Parks On Secondary or Culinary Water?
While a significant portion of City-owned property is watered using secondary water, there are some areas, including the Riverton City Park, Centennial Park, City Hall and its west lawn, Riverton Chase Park, Western Springs Mini, and the Riverton City Cemetery that are watered with culinary water.

Because of the secondary water shut off and a higher demand on the culinary system, the City will be reducing the watering schedule on the majority of the culinary watered parks but continue with more careful maintenance on the new Riverton City Park and City Cemetery.

What are the requirements for creating a safe and legal backflow/cross connection? Specifications to connect irrigation/watering systems to a culinary water source must be done according to specifications provided on the City website and must be inspected and approved by a City official before being implemented.

The public is advised that any attempts to cross connect culinary water systems for irrigation watering without the proper approval can cause a severe health threat to the community and will result in criminal prosecution and civil liability.

Cross connecting means that the contaminated water would be pulled into the clean water system, thus contaminating the entire drinking water system.

Click here for additional information regarding the Utah Lake algal bloom and the latest updates from the state.  

Click here to find answers from the DEQ.